Wednesday 5 March 2014

Thoughts up till now...

I have not been working as hard as I should have been since my meeting the other week. I came away from it feeling great, motivated and pumped but that seemed to fade as the week went on.

It was suggested that I try 123d catch, which sounded great. I put my 360 degree images into the programme and the first one showed a very strange object with Davids face on it, i dont even know how to describe the shape, it was just odd.

I tried a few more times, they did not take long to process but when it said it was done it would not let me open the actual file. It did this another 10 times. I thought I would try just doing one body part at a time as maybe the images I have are not readable. No, that did not work either. After a few hours of trying to find more images and more fails I decided to call it quits.

It was then suggested I used Mudbox, I thought I would block out the character in Maya and then use Mudbox to define the muscles and other shapes. This made me feel like a fish out of water. In second year of Uni we used 3D Coat but I was told that it isnt a reliable programme so not to use. Not having used mud box before and not being a character modeller just has 'doomed' all over it, but thought I would give it a go to make my project a little bit more interesting.

My initial idea was to re create St. Marks Square but when I presented my idea i was told it was not a strong enough project. This is where the statue idea came into play. I think my issue was naming an actual statue instead of stating there would be an animated object in the square.

I think having this idea down on paper and submitted added some pressure, so instead of my final year project being fun and enjoyable it turned into a nightmare. Not only am I not confident in creating this model but I ended up pushing the whole project back, spending too much time looking into how to create this statue caused me to stop work on all other aspects. I feel I have wasted quite a bit of time looking at things rather than modelling the rest of the project.

I decided last night that I would leave the character modelling to a pro and do what I wanted in the first place. At the end of the day it is environment modelling I want to go into, not character modelling. Plus I will be doing textures and lighting to make my scene look realistic. I do not feel it takes away from my project if I do not model the statue myself. By having a model pre made it means there is a bit more time for me to work on the rest of the scene. I can also spend a bit more time on the animation tests.

I think in future if I have an idea I need to be confident in it. And if there are suggestions, I dont have to feel like I need to add more. Given the time frame left I think this is the wisest solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment