Tuesday 18 March 2014

Columns for around windows

To create the coumns for around the windows I followed a tutorial I found online.

Tutorial by: Justin Slick.  
Web address: http://3d.about.com/od/Creating-3D-The-CG-Pipeline/ss/Maya-Tutorial-Series-Detailing-The-Greek-Column_7.htm
Web Creator: About.com 2014

I started with a cylinder and used the different views to make sure it was centered on the grid, making it a little easier to get the correct sizes. I extruded the top of the cylinder 7 times to get the shape which is in the first image.


I then added edge loops around each edge to make sure the shape stays when it is put into 'smooth'.
To create the 'greek column' look I selected every other edge along the sides (not including the extruded parts at the top), I then scaled them inwards. I then selected the other edges (ones that were not scaled) and selected the bevel tool (segments 1 and roundness 0.3).  The end of the column was out of shape so I selected the vertices and scaled them down so they all were in line.



I added the columns by duplicating them as instances. After I did this I had to go through and move some of them slightly to line up with the archways that they are under.


I also re did the hole in the archways, i used cut faces tool.


No comments:

Post a Comment